Seasonal activities: Autumn
(mid September through mid December)
- Sucker removal. Remove suckers arising from the base of the tree.
- Nutrient management. Apply (either in fall or winter) 0.2-0.4 kg N per tree per year. On light soils, apply half in winter and half in spring.
- Problems and Opportunities
- Crop calendar
- Market Information (All Crops)
- Photo Gallery
- Priority Problems for Afghanistan Pomegranates include: fruit splitting, pollination, training & pruning, IPM for pomegranates: fruit borer, carob moth (main pest in Kandahar), aphids, fruit fly (main problem in Khogyani district in Nangarhar province), mites.
These draft priority problems are based on feedback from Afghanistan based on discussions with agricultural consultants, Afghan specialists, Muhammad Aziz SAEEDI (PHDC-Jalalabad/ANHDO), and Tom Brown.
- Crop Overview Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Pomegranates Checklist Fact Sheet (Paul Sommers)
- Status of Pomegranate Production in Afghanistan (Dr Samadi, Kabul University) as a PDF
- Pomegranate Production by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Cultivated Area by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Variety Options (UC Davis)
- For certified sapling contact PHDP (Perennial Horticulture Development Project)
- PHDP Varietal Selection and Production, Pomegranate Excerpt English, (full) دری (Dari) (9.9 MB) and پشتو (Pashto) (9.8 MB) (ANNGO Catalog 2013, PHDP/EU)
- National Nursery Growers' Association Locations and Contacts PDF (ANNGO Catalog 2013, PHDP/EU)
- Training and Pruning Fact Sheet English and (Dari) دری (UC Davis)
- Irrigation of Perennial Crops (3.4 MB) (Roots of Peace)
- Principals of Irrigation of Trees and Vines PPT as PDF (2.8MB) and (Dari) دری (4.6 MB) (UC Davis)
- Drip Irrigation (11.7MB) (IDE)
- See Pest Identification Cards and general Pest Management Page
- Nursery Weed Management Fact Sheet English and (Dari) دری (UC Davis for Roots of Peace)
- 10 Principles of Postharvest Management Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Principles of GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Postharvest Options (1.3 MB) (Ludhiana University, India)
- Maintaining Quality of Pomegranates PPT as PDF (4.2 MB) (UC Davis)
- Example of Standards (Fresh Spec)
- General Postharvest Page