Almond - Pruning
Info sheet developed by Corky Lovin, John Driver, Pauline Nhamo, and Mark A Bell - UC Davis International Programs Office (2008)
Shows basic how to prune and why it is useful.
"What is pruning?
• It is a practice to remove diseased, non-productive or unwanted portions of the plant (shoots, limbs, branches).
Why is it done?
• To shape the plant by controlling and directing plant growth to maintain a healthy plant that is sturdy to increase yield and quality of fruits.
• To reduce disease incidence.
• To allow efficient production and ease of harvest (both hand mechanical).
• To allow proper balance between shade and sunlight to allow for ripening but on the other hand prevent sun damage of the fruits.
94 kB (96821 bytes)