Market Information (All Crops)
- Priority problems for Afghanistan melons include , IPM: Melon fly, white fly, cut worm, melon aphids, Cucumber Beetle, powdery mildew, anthracnose, fusarium wilt, various weeds (including bermudagrass and nutsedge), and water management.
- Priority opportunities include seed selection, storage, melon spray program, including training on pesticide application, training on p, improved harvest methods to extend post harvest life, and improved irrigation practices.
These draft priority problems are based on discussions with agricultural consultants, Afghan specialists, Alan Walters (SIU), and Tom Brown.
- About Watermelons Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
General Vegetable Production Manual Pashto (2.3 MB) (UC Davis)
Diagnostics Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
Low Plastic Tunnels Info Sheet (USDA)
- 10 Principles of Postharvest Management Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Principles of GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Cantaloupe Harvest Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Harvest Field Selection Cantaloupe Fact Sheet and Video (UC Davis)
- Melon In-Field Transport Fact Sheet and Video (UC Davis)
- Quality standards
- Melon Quality Control Video (UC Davis)
- Melon Standards (example using honey dew) (Fresh Spec)
- Melon Packing and Cold Storage Fact Sheet and Video (UC Davis)