At present, there is little rice-specific information available for Afghanistan. However, several organizations offer guiding principles.
Seasonal Activities: Autumn
(mid September through mid December)
Problems and Opportunities
Priority problems of rice are similar to those for wheat and relate to seed quality, improved varieties, and better water management.
Priority opportunities include: work with organizations like FAO, MAIL and CIMMYT to access good seed and improve irrigation systems.
- Overview Info Sheet (UC Davis)
- Rice Production by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Cultivated Area by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Cropping 101 Short Manual (UC Davis)
- Seed and Seed Systems Webpage
- Production by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Cultivated Area by ProvinceInteractive Map (UC Davis)
- See Rice Knowledge Bank (IRRI on-line tool)
Rice has a number of pest problems including small aquatic animals, armyworms, grasshoppers, molds, rots and blight. Crop rotations, pesticides, flooding the fields, and planting resistant varieties can help to reduce these problems.
- Rice Doctor (IRRI on-line diagnostic tool)
- Dry seed to less than 14% moisture and clean, then use the IRRI Superbag Fact Sheet (IRRI) or PIC bag Video (Purdue)
- Rice Knowledge Bank (IRRI on-line tool)