- Problems and Opportunities
- Pest Management
- Market Information (All Crops)
Problems and Opportunities
Potatoes are a major crop in Afghanistan.
- Priority problems of potatoes include: scurf and scab diseases due to inadequate crop rotation, reliable sources of potato seed, Colorado potato beetle, and Integrated Pest Management.
- Priority opportunities include: establishing a virus free seed supply, providing virus free elite stock, a Colorado Potato Beetle management program and IPM program, cool storage facilities to save potato seed and get better price opportunities, training on pesticide application, and field and crop rotation for disease prevention.
These draft priority problems and opportunities are based on input from Tom Brown and Alan Walters (SIU).
- About Potatoes Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Potato Production Excerpt پشتو (Pashto) (USAID ADP/E)
- General Vegetable Production Manual پشتو (Pashto) (2.3 MB) (USAID ADP/E)
- Diagnostics Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Potato Production PPT as PDF (1.3 MB) (UC Davis)
- Potato Production for Eastern Region PPT as PDF (4.7 MB) (IDEA-NEW Noori)
- Potato care
- Common pest and diseases for potatoes are Colorado potato beetle, bacterial ring rot, various virus diseases, curly top, bacterial soft rot and blackleg, phytophthora infestations, aphids, cutworms, potato tuberworm, flea beetles, and nematodes.
- Potato Insects PPT as PDF (UC Davis)
- Harvesting Potatoes Video (Expert Village)
- 10 Principles of Postharvest Management Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Principles of GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Harvesting, Curing and Storing potatoes Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Curing Potatoes for Eating Video (Expert Village)
- Potato Cool Storage Manual English and دری (UC Davis and CRS)
- General Postharvest Page