Seasonal activities: Winter
(mid December through mid March)
- Sucker removal. Remove suckers arising from the base of the tree.
- Tree shaping. Prune to desired tree height. Remove bent or broken branches.
- Nutrient management. Apply (either in fall or winter) 0.2-0.4 kg N per tree per year. On light soils, apply half in winter and half in spring.
- Irrigation. Little or no irrigation during winter may be needed.
- Propagation. Take cuttings for propagation
Problems and Opportunities
- Priority problems for Afghanistan Pomegranates include: fruit splitting, pollination, training & pruning, and IPM for pomegranates.
- Priority opportunities include improved harvesting techniques to prevent fruit splitting, and improved grading and sorting practices.
- These draft priority problems are based on feedback from Afghanistan based on discussions with agricultural consultants, Afghan specialists, Muhammad Aziz Saeedi (PHDC-Jalalabad/ANHDO), agricultural experts at Kandahar University, Kandahar DAIL, and Tom Brown.
- Crop Overview Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Pomegranates Checklist Fact Sheet (Paul Sommers)
- Status of Pomegranate Production in Afghanistan (Dr Samadi, Kabul University) as a PDF
- Pomegranate Production by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Cultivated Area by Province Interactive Map (UC Davis)
- Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Variety Options (UC Davis)
- For certified sapling contact PHDP (Perennial Horticulture Development Project)
- PHDP Varietal Selection and Production English (excerpt), دری (Dari) (9.9 MB) and پشتو (Pashto) (9.8 MB) (ANNGO Catalog 2013, PHDP/EU)
- National Nursery Growers' Association Locations and Contacts PDF (ANNGO Catalog 2013, PHDP/EU)
- Establishing Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Intercropping Fact sheet (UC Davis)
- Training and Pruning Fact Sheet English and (Dari) دری (UC Davis)
- General Pruning Manual پشتو (Pashto)
- Irrigation of Perennial Crops (3.4 MB) (Roots of Peace)
- Principals of Irrigation of Trees and Vines PPT as PDF (2.8MB) and (Dari) دری (4.6 MB) (UC Davis)
- Drip Irrigation (11.7MB) (IDE)
Pest Management for Pomegranate
- See Pest Identification Cards and general Pest Management Page
- Nursery Weed Management Fact Sheet English and (Dari) دری (UC Davis for Roots of Peace)
- Improved cultural practices can help prevent fruit splitting. Pick fruits at optimal timing: when fully ripe they should make a metallic sound when tapped. The ripe fruit should be carefully selected and picked by hand and not pulled from the tree. Grade according to quality and keep different qualities separate.
- 10 Principles of Postharvest Management Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Principles of GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Fact Sheet (UC Davis)
- Postharvest Options (1.3 MB) (Ludhiana University, India)
- Maintaining Quality of Pomegranates PPT as PDF (4.2 MB) (UC Davis)
- Example of Standards (Fresh Spec)
- General Postharvest Page